Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Search for Substance, Strength and that which makes us Unique.


People have been searching for meaning from the beginning of time. We want to be seen and even appreciated for who we are and what our unique "strength" is.

I recently viewed (above) the oldest "art" on earth; the cave paintings in Chauvet, France. Estimated to be 26,000 years old, it's difficult to wrap my mind around that number. But what touched me among all the drawings of elk and deer was a single palm print. The artists signature. And with this, a bit of immortality.

26,000 years later we are marveling at his work. In a sense he still lives through his work. I hope to have that same satisfaction in the end.

I believe that everyone has an "art" or ability that they either don't recognize, or refuse to permit shine. How often do you pay someone a sincere compliment for a job well done or creative act, and the reply will be "oh, it was nothing". Now, I'm not one for overloading the world with Ego and arrogance (there's already plenty) but we need to embrace our unique strengths. And if they are meaningful - TRULY meaningful (which usually is best defined by those who impact others in a positive or generous manner), this is meaning. Substance. A life worth celebrating.

How many things will you see today, which are above the ordinary. Special. Even irreplaceable? How many things can we share that are truly remarkable. Will take the breath away from those we touch. I'm trying for more today. I want to leave a mark but I want it to have some meaning. I want it to make others smile and know something important was shared.
JB

No comments:

Post a Comment